Re: Tesla coil formula

Original poster: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jared,

> For an air cored inductor, the inductance, as derived by Maxwell's
> equations can be written as:
>
> L = u ( wire length )Sqrd / (4pi l )
>
> Prominent is the wire length, a sadly neglected geometry.

Is it really relevant? All I want (and need)  to know is the
inductance and the capacitance in order to calculate Fr. Surely the
question of how much wire goes into making the resonator is
purely an exercise in quantity surveying and it is different for
different geometries. The amount of mutual coupling between turns
is a key component which the wirelength equation doesn't even
account for AFAICS.

Malcolm