RE: An SCR by any Name....Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

For what this is worth, from the IEEE dictionary of EE terms (IEEE Std
100-1992):

Thysistor: A bistable semiconductor device comprising three or more
junctions that can be switched from the off state to the on state or
vice versa, such switching occurring within at least one quadrant of the
principal voltage-current characteristic.

-It doesn't mention auxiliary or external gating, so natural commutation
included, this would tend to encompass SCR's TRIAC's, DIAC's, SIDAC's,
etc.

Silicon Controlled Rectifier:  An alternative name used for the
reverse-blocking triode-thyristor....

I agree that the GE SCR Manual would be -the- source. (They did invent
the thing after all). Mine's stashed somewhere else at the moment so
I'll look forward to seeing if someone can dig up the (other) official
version.

Leigh