Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 12/12/05 5:10:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The magnet wire for the secondary seems to be around $15 per pound

That's about twice what I'm paying for new, premium, Phelps-Dodge poly-thermaleze magnet wire from one of the local motor repair shops.

>and from what I gather I'll need about 10 #s.

That seems *really* heavy for a secondary coil powered by a 15kV/30mA primary supply! About six times more wire than you should need.

> I believe 16 AWG is around 125 foot per pound.

Yeah, but again, that's going to be heck to design for a 15/30 supply. Not the least of which will be trying to get it to resonate with a .08uF primary cap, while maintaining any semblance of efficiency! You've been looking around at various sites to get some primary cap ideas? Look carefully at the sizes and specs of the coils folks have built. If this is your first Tesla Coil, try to copy a working example.

-Phil LaBudde