Re: Capacitor Help

Hi,

There is a point when commercial "big" caps are more economical than MMCs ;-)) But for NST systems, MMCs seems to be a very good deal since they are under about $50 almost all the time which is less than the E-bay cost+pain price of getting Maxwells off ebay.

I should note that a 15/30 system is "pretty easy" on caps and maybe an old beaten up Maxwell will still do just fine ;-)) That big cap's "volume" alone with oil can handle a lot of power loss!!

Be very careful of taking "pulsed" ratings as "RMS or 120BPS ratings!!! Pulsed caps might fry if the RMS current is too much for them. All that big time current reversal stuff is bad according to their specs... Typically RMS currents are tiny for pulsed applications... But again, the cap's simple "size" allows them to get away with a lot in our Tesla coil case!! But, MMCs were "born" from famous commercial caps failures that required a "darn good FIX for that"...

Old Maxwells off e-bay are a real good deal if they are at all checked to be sure they are not totally destroyed. They are "too variable" to be an "assured" source like MMCs. But I think an NST coil would have a hard time killing a still good one! But pig powered systems can easily push them too far on a bad day...

It is cool that we know so much about coils and caps these days ;-))) However, matching a given coil system to many many cap choices is still a pretty "busy" task!!! In this case, Malcolm Tesla figured it out quick and will get MMCs from mouser ;-))) Can't go wrong ;-)

I am very excited that DigiKey is now carrying CD film caps >:D All of us "MMC suppliers" make get wiped out for the better now :-))))) A few phone calls, and they will easily add the 942 0.15 uFs >>:))))

Cheers,

        Terry