Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Malcolm,

Many try to get 1200-1500 turns on the secondary. The height/diameter should be about 4.5:1. For 4 inch PVC, the winding height would be about 18 inches. Choose the AWG to get some where around 1400 turns with this winding height (close wound).

For the 0.1 uf CDE942C caps, you can try www.mpaqelectronics.com . The last time I ordered from them, they had a minimum order of 28 caps.

You may want to try the JAVATC program: http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

This program is excellant and with great help files. It will answer many questions about your design (Lp, Ls, Ctop, freq, number of primary turns to get resonance, Ipeak, etc) and if you need any help using it, there are many in this group that can give it.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you everyone for all your input.  I should have joined the list a long
time ago :) lots of very helpful info.  I think I will get the 12 x
942C20P1K from mouser.com tomorrow.  Everywhere else I called had a minimum
order amount that was over $100.  Mouser has them for $4.28 each which will
be around $51 + shipping.

Thank you for the pointer about using 28 AWG for the secondary coil.  I
don't remember how I came up with 16.  This will save me a few dollars too
as it's sold by weight and this won't cost as much.  If anyone recommends a
site to purchase wire I'm all ears :)  Oh and is 1000(ish) turns the
standard for beginners like me?  I have 4" diameter PVC pipe.   I see lots
of formula on the internet but they require you know the inductance of your
primary and the frequency of it too.  I don't have an ossilliscope.

I'll see if I can get a few pictures of what I have made up so far posted on
the internet later tonight so you guys can take a look.

Thanks
Malcolm