Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Malcolm,

Your workmanship looks very good. Since you are using wood for your HV insulation, I would varnish it before use. Your spiral primary coil holder may want to have deeper slots so the primary doesn't pop out. I also find that eight spokes helps a lot with a good looking primary.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds/15KV_120ma_SRSG/tc18_primary_coil.jpg

Gerry R.

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey everyone,

Here's a few pics as promised.  This is what I got done over the weekend.
I've since built a little more and done some more wiring.

http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/1.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/2.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/3.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/4.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/5.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/6.jpg

So as of now I'm going for the MMC with 12 of those 942 caps, and 1 pound of
28 AWG to start winding my secondary.  I have noticed several people mention
a safty gap.  I assume this is about a 1" gap across the capacitor to
prevent any over voltage conditions from blowing the caps?  Like if perhaps
the tesla coil strikes down and hits the primary for example?

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted
Malcolm