Re: ScopingSSTC

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

A car battery and a 150W inverter works for me to isolate my scope. I don't like doing it though because of the risk if you touch the buttons which you tend to do out of habit.

Peter

Hi,
I have run a lot of scopes with the ground hot as you mention (the scope is grounded though the AC line Ground so you need to defeat that). The scope chassis and all adds a lot of capacitive loading to the circuit which may very well be bad for gate drive measurements. Also, the scope's power supplies are still referenced to ground through the AC lines. The isolation at that point is not very well guaranteed. So scope loading and isolation from the AC line are issues. Tektronix scopes seem to be the "luckiest"... Dig through the specs sheets where they give clues about how hot you can run.
Cheers,
        Terry