Re: Tesla Coil Formula

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jared,

Wow! A spherical inductor should be interesting indeed!
You know I did a few experiments with a hollow sphere
conductor about 12" in diameter. What I noticed was
when you pulsed a large capacitor across it from pole
to pole you got a really strange magnetic field. One
hemisphere would have a B field that rotated in one
direction, ie the normal way, but the other hemisphere
would rotate in the opposite direction! This is
contradictory to what the physics books say? I can't
remember exactly but I believe it was the side that
had the positive lead that counter rotated. Where the
current was becoming more dense as it flowed away from
the equator and toward the terminal. If you should
notice some strange effects with that arrangement please
post your results to the list!  :-)

Take care:
          ---- Matt Cortner ----

>We have not experimented with bifilar windings, but it does sound
>interesting. Right now I am winding a spherical inductor to see how
>it performs as a half wave, or at least I was winding it untill I
ran >out of wire.