Re: Simulation vs. Experimentation (was: Capacitor Help)

Hey Ed,

if you have enough time to learn using it, then try out PSpice for simulation. It's a bit of work to get used to it but if you know what you're doing it will give the best possible results because it uses low-level simulation. So it doesn't just calculate some values with formulas used in programs such as TeslaMap (don't get me wrong, TeslaMap is a great program for design but it's a design program and not a simulation software) but calculates the flow of charges between capacitors etc. on a very low level ... You can think of PSpice as an "electron simulator".

If you don't use it for commercial purpose it can be downloaded for free, for example from HotStreamer.com:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/1-91pspstu.exe   (28Meg)

Regards, Q."

I use Electronic Work Bench (now Multisim I think) which is spice-based and very easy to use. Fun for simulating TC behavior, including chaotic operation when using a high leakage inductance NSTdriving a straight gap configuration, but not as a design tool. I can't see any reason for a beginner to use anything more than Wheeler's and Medhurst's approximations and a pencil and paper for an initial design of a beginner's system. I think that if I were a beginner who really hadn't built anything electrical or RF I 'd be somewhat intimidated by all of the design programs which fellows have designed and offer. [I have my own too, of course, but don't push them on anyone else.]

Ed