Re: A LUA file for BELA (a help to build electrostatic model of TC)

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

One impovement to this design would be using a toroid on the bottom of the coil as well as on the top.

I always wondered whether this would work, to have a half toroid covering the primary coil. The main worry to my mind is how to prevent induction heating of the half toroid. Obviously you would cut a slot in it to prevent it acting as a shorted turn (and bevel the edges of the slot somewhat so they don't attract corona) but even so there might be a good few paths for eddy currents. A good line of inquiry might be to break the toroid into segments like orange segments with gaps in between.

Or maybe you could make a finite element approximation to the shield from extra copper pipe, or simpler still, the primary could be wound on semicircular supports so that the primary coil itself ends up in the shape of a finite element half-toroid. After all, if the field control is so good that the primary never gets struck, who needs strike rails?

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/