Re[2]: ScopingSSTC

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

1) Can I connect the probe of ONE channel to the GDT secondary (WITHOUT an H-bridge)?
I can't see the reasons against. The GDT act as an isolation transformer.

Yes, you can do that just fine. It's only dangerous if you connect your probe and ground clip to the GDT secondary, while it's driving a MOSFET in a H-bridge that is plugged into the mains. In this case, the MOSFET source terminal will have mains voltage on it, whereas the ground clip on your scope is connected to mains ground. When you connect your ground clip to the circuit, there will most probably be an earth-shattering kaboom.

2) What is floating...........?

A "Floating" terminal or circuit is one that has no connection to anything else. Your GDT secondary that you mentioned, when it's not connected to a H-bridge, is floating. If you disconnect the ground wire in a scope's power lead, it is floating too.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/