RE: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I also suspect that using an LTR-sized cap is not the panacea that's
often suggested as relating to mitigating damage from too-wide gaps.  On
paper or in simulation it makes sense, but with real NST's, particularly
when cranked above nominal mains voltage, NST's may behave differently
than the models predict.

Consider this.  A properly set static gap is set to fire at a voltage
just above the peak no-load secondary voltage.  Now we hook up
everything and slowly crank up the Variac.  If there was no mains
resonant rise, the gap wouldn't fire until the Variac hit nominal.  But
in practice, it starts firing at a far lower voltage.  Resonant rise,
no?

I think using an LTR cap is a very good thing as it permits bigger bangs
and hence longer sparks.  But I don't think we should lower our guard
against setting our gaps too wide - it's not guaranteed to be safe.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA