Re: Fw: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:41 AM

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Probably replying late (that delay thing), but I see your coil
> worked! (Great job!). Just thought I'd mention what I
> calc'd  guessing at misc dimensions based on your photo's.
>
> For the case of running inside the cage, I calc'd about 17.5 turns
> would be needed with your cap size or with the 15 turn primary you
> could also increase the cap size to about 12.5 nF.
>
> Without the cage I think your still going to need about 16.5 turns
> with your current cap size. Just adding the turns may be the easiest
> and quickest way to get the coil in tune. It seemed that you still
> had some ability on your runners to do that.
>
> Take care,
> Bart

Thanks for the info.  I brought in some copper tubing to work with me today.
I'm going to try and extend the primary.  Since I added the strike rail it's
lost some space but I think I can squeeze in about 16 1/2 turns at the very
max.  Hopefully this does the trick.

BTW - does this mean my coil is running very weak even when I get it tuned?
I thought I saw someone say in the past an NST powered Tesla Coil should be
tapping around turn 9 to 10 on the primary otherwise it's not running very
efficient?  Any truth to that?  What can I look at doing in the future to
bring my turns down to the 9 to 10 range?  Add more strings of caps in
parallel to increase capacitance?

Thanks
Malcolm - KC