Re: MMC Design and Wiring

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Yes, that does help reduce the 'stray" inductance of the capacitor string. I would make a wild guess at like 0.5 to 1 uF per foot. I have never really worried at all about it. The wiring between the caps, primary coil, and gap is probably much more significant. For my DRSSTC the primary is a little too small, so the 12 added feet of primary wiring to the caps and H-bridge sure helps ;-)) I would guess about 7uH...

1 meter of straight wire with 1 mm of diameter has 1.5 microhenrys.
The value is almost directly proportional to the wire length.
1 foot of 1 mm wire has 0.387 uH.
(I have the exact calculation implemented in the Inca program.)
Flat connections and parallel arrays reduce the inductance, so your
value is close to correct, somewhat excessive (uH, not uF).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz