Re: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

the book is right, you are wrong - corona and leader are far not the
same, even corona and streamer are far not the same.

Streamer propagation and corona are certainly very different, and
certainly positive streamers develop better. But
initial breakdown voltages are not significantly different.

 > In an electrostatic machine producing symmetrical voltages, longer sparks
 > are obtained when the positive terminal ball is smaller than the negative,
 > so the positive side breaks down first.
it`s positive discharge, so this experement once more proves the facts
i wrote upper.

Makes sense. The smaller ball in the positive terminal forces
a positive streamer, that propagates better than a negative streamer.

 > and I don't remember
 > seing actual measurements of breakdown voltages with positive or negative
 > voltages, that really don't have reasons to be different.
there are several very logical reasons - they`re all described in the
book. in the other book ("Physics of lightning and of lightning
protection", page 91) it`s written, that everything this was proved by
the experiments and there`re some data from the experiments.

I only see differences in streamer propagation, and in the electric
field required to keep a streamer propagating. Nothing about initial
breakdown electric field, that doesn't have reasons to be different
at positively or negatively charged surfaces.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz