Re: stripping magnet wire

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There are a couple different types of insulation on this wire. The easiest to deal with is the POLYURETHANE / NYLON. This is the most popular. It easily melts off with a hot soldering iron. With your iron set to its hottest temperature, put a bit of fresh solder on the tip and then try to "tin" the very end of the wire. If it is the wire above, it will melt off easily.

The other types are ENAMEL and FORMVAR types. These do not melt off. They need to be scraped off with sand paper or an XACTO knife. With a knife, it usually comes off easily.

For the enamel type insulation, there is a product from GC electronics that will eat off the enamel. You dip it, then wipe it. It is very effective. I don't recall it's exact name.

Skip