Re: status report

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Justin,

I disagree with David's claim for the need of big (dangerous) filter caps.
You can choose the amount of AC ripple you are willing to tolerate on your
DC output (e.g. 10%), then calculate the filter cap based on the DC load
your setup will draw (e.g. 0.25 amp).  The equations and "how to" may be
found in the Power
Supply section of Radio Amateur's Handbooks.  You can get used ones from
Ebay and other used book dealers--lots of good info for coilers.

I run a DC coil that performs quite well,
and the filter cap is only 0.67 mF at 18 KV (which is still dangerous) made
up of 24 microwave oven caps in series-parallel.

That aside, DC resonant charging gives you a lot more "fun factor" because
you can control
break rate and power fairly independently.  But to get the most fun out of
DC, you need a rotary or triggered spark gap.  And if you
design your system right, you don't need to ballast your HV transformer.

I would not recommend using a NST to run a DC system.  NSTs are designed to
run mostly at lower voltages, once the gas filled (neon) lamp is conducting.
With a DC system, you are likely to be running your NST without a proper
load at times which will lead to insulation breakdown inside the NST.  Best
to go with MOTs or a Potential Transformer.  I use an oil immersed MOT
6-pack which works just
fine.
--Steve Y.