RE: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: "david baehr" <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a book on how to make your own arc welder,.....it states you should have 2.5 sq. in. of core for every 1000 watts . I made my own ballast on an E I core with a 8 sq. in. center leg area, with 150 turns of #12 high temp mag wire. I run up to 3kva, works good,..could go higher I think.Its got a range of about 6amps and up.........adjusting the air gap bettween the Es and Is