RE: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>The core consists of two separate "spools" of steel (not
>E's and I's, although the whole core has two "windows"
>like an "EI" core), and won't come apart in any way
>which might make winding easy.  Bummer.

Bummer is the word. If you can't take the core apart, then you can't introduce an air gap to it, so you'll find it impossible to make an efficient ballast no matter what number of turns you use.

If it were me I would be thinking of sawing the core in half (after binding
it in a suitable way so it won't spring apart violently)

Steve C.