Re: electrode distance for stationary spark gap

Original poster: Blake Hartley <teslaspud@xxxxxxxxx>

When I said to pull the gaps in a little I meant exactly what Gary
said about set it so it barely sparks. Sorry for the the confusion.

Cheers,
Blake

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:29:35 -0700, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx> > > Sorry, but I'm compelled to point out that this is bad advice. Running > a coil with the gap opened up to the point where it won't fire is like > putting your car in neutral and flooring the gas. Even if it does fire, > it may be at a voltage far higher than is safe. > > A static gap acts like a voltage clamp, limiting how high a voltage the > capacitor will be charged to. It's not immediately obvious, but this > voltage can build far higher than the rated secondary voltage of the > transformer. If the cap is not discharged through the gap, the voltage > will build higher and higher on each mains half-cycle, through what's > called resonant rise. The transformer secondary and the tank cap form > an L-C circuit, resonant in the neighborhood of 60 Hz. Most folks these > days strive to use a cap value larger than what would be mains resonant > (i.e. LTR - Larger Than Resonant), but transformer core saturation and > ferro-resonance may conspire to achieve mains resonance none the less. > > The only safe and reliable way to set a static gap is to apply only the > transformer across the gap (i.e. no cap in the circuit) and set the gap > width to just fire. OK, maybe slightly wider if you like to live on the > edge. As others have pointed out, there is no simple table that will > correlate gap width and voltage for any arbitrary geometry, especially > when using multiple gaps in series. > > Regards, Gary Lau > MA, USA > > > Original poster: Blake Hartley <teslaspud@xxxxxxxxx> > > > > Chistopher, > > > > I have started with two bolts that you can unscrew to make the gap > > larger. Start with a small gap and hook up the power supply, > > increasing the gap until there are no sparks, aand then pulling them > > back in a little. Even though this works, you are probably better of > > using a couple of pieces of copper pipe to form a multi-gap. > > > > Cheers, > > Blake > > > > > > > I am trying to figure out how you determine how much of a gap > distance > > > between two stationary electrodes should be? For a stationary spark > gap. Is > > > there a formula ? All responses are appreciated :) > > > Thanks > > > Chris > >