Re: Beginner questions

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ralph,

Myself, I run a plastics blade on my saw. It's a 80 tooth blade with beveled carbide tips set at a 0 degree angle. It works great on acyrlic (no chipping) and UHMW PE, but must have a vaccum collection system operating. In UHMW the cuttings must be removed or the blade will "gum up" and try to kick back or capture the blade. Normal wood blades are also supposed to work in UHMW also. The plastics blades run from $80 for DeWalt to $130 for Freud. For about the same price DeWalt also has a nonferrous metals blade which works great on aluminium, and gives almost a mirror finish to the cut.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman" <gridleak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Robert,

What kind of plastic are you cutting on the table saw and what kind of
blade are
you using.

I have had much trouble and several near-death experiences trying to
cut various plastics on a table saw. I can do a much better job on the
bandsaw
with a coarse-tooth saw. Thanks.

Ralph

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:42 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Beginner questions

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tyler: I make my primary coil spokes on a table saw.  Cut all your
plastic
supports to the disired highth , about 1 in or so. Then clamp a 1/4 in
strip
to your table saw parallel to the blade and spaced 1 coil space away
from
the blade . ..................saving bandwidth