Re: Meter Shunts

Original poster: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>

Anyway what I find rather odd is that I called up a store and ask if I can get

a meter and then shunt it.

It can be done.

The meter will be for measuring the current, but the before the shunt I would

use two resistors to drop the current evenly since the meter can't handle the

whole load.

I would describe it differently. Use of words to describe this is tricky.

This is odd because he said this cannot be done, why is that?

He may not have been familiar with shunts, many people aren't, Or he may not have understood the description.

The person didn't explain to me why either, I tihnk they didn't know.

Anyway before I was told that I don't need to use a shunt to measure the voltage

'shunt' is a term used when discussing current meadurements. (When extending a voltmeter range 'multiplier' is the word...)

nor resistors, but wouldn't the current have some effect on the meter's coil?

Is current or voltage being measured? Both? (When using coil typoe meters, there is always some current involved.... the discussion can get complicated....)

   best
      dwp