Re: DRSSTC Noise source found

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

Its Probably the inductance of the caps resonating with the C and not
related to the fact the dielectric is polypropylene.
Keep the leads as short as you possible.  I don't recall your particular
construction but if you can allow the caps to sit in the same plane as the
buss rails with less than a 1/10in of lead to the soldered connection to the
supply rails.

Your new caps may do better not because of the fancy dielectric but because
they have a smaller capacitance.
Ceramics should do just fine but again keep the lead length as small as
possible, several in parallel will be much better than one large one with
just one pair of leads.

Impressive that the IGFET's switching can generate 50Mhz stuff.
I thought shoot thru would be controlled by the dead time.

It is probably best if you increase the gate drive resistors to reduce the
switching speed, which is the source of the noise.
It appears to me your switching way to fast.  You have soft switching anyway
so why generate all the hash with fast switching for no reason???
The present parasitic oscillations may be dissipating much power than the
increase you may get with reduced switching speed.
But again if your soft switching its the ON current dissipation that will be
dominating so you can probably reduce the switching speed dramatically
without significant dissipation problems.

Robert