Re: phase shift

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 2/16/05 11:25:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Original poster: "F1UBZ" <f1ubz.loic@xxxxxxxxxx>

hello , i'm a french Tc constructor , i'm doing an synchronous rotary gap ,
design as Terry Blake , it work but the phase is critical i tking ,  due to
phe position off the rotary gap  on the shaft ,insulated by a PTFE piece ,
Question : i looking for a phase shifter  to controlate this problem , any
body as construct this equipement ? what is the sheme ?
Best regard from France -- sorry for my bad english
(my TC picture will be on the web )

Bonjour,

I show an electronic phase shifter schematic diagram at my website at

     http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html.

Be sure to carefully select the proper phase capacitor value as
the instructions indicate.  It is a trial and error process to find
the correct value capacitor for this.

If your gap spacing is a little too wide, this can make the
phase extra critical too.  Of course the phase setting for a
synchronous gap is quite critical in general.

In general when setting up a synchronous gap system, be sure
you do the final phase setting at full power.  This is because
the best setting at low power will be different than the best setting
at high power.  I'm assuming you are using a variac (variable
autotransformer) to adjust your input power.  Of course a variac
is not essential.  You can just adjust for best phase anyway
at full power.

As your sparks get longer, you may need to tap outwards on
the primary (using more turns), for best results.

Cheers,
John