Re: DC tesla coil

Original poster: "Paul Benham" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 6:29 PM
Subject: RE: DC tesla coil

> If you mean "the same capacitors as I used" then it should be all right,
if
> you mean "the same capacitors as were in the ovens you pulled the diodes
> from" no.

I have used the microwave oven caps in my doubler without problems so far.
I used one in series with the transformer output, but I used two sets of two
in series for the output capacitor.  So far I have not had a problem, but
the capacitance used is less than your design so I guess the power
throughput may be a little lower.  I have not had a really long run time on
them yet, so I cannot say what the reliability will be like if microwave
capacitors are used.  I only used them because they came at the right price.

Cheers,

Paul.