Re: ignition coil power source

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Jerry White <starcatfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Ed,
>   Do you have nore info or drawings of this coil available?
> Jerry
>
> Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original poster: Ed Phillips
>
> I've been able to get about 1-1/4" streamers from a little coil excited
> by a "Ford coil". With a hot ignition coil I get about 4" with the same
> coil. Interruptor for the latter is transistorized. No big deal but fun
> putting together.
>
> Ed

	Not much to tell.  The secondary is about 1000 turns of #30 formvar
wound on a 3.17" diameter mailing tube - approximately 15" long.  On top
(for this experiment) was a small 3" OD oblate spheroid made from copper
tape on top of a plastic flower holder my wife happened to leave lying
around.  The primary capacitor was an 0.0047 ufd ceramic filter
capacitor and the primary was about 6" diameter, wound with #14 wire and
tuned to the frequency of the secondary, around 300 kHz.

	Same secondary with 0.009 ufd primary capacitor and 5 pipe gap gives
about 30" streamers running from a 12 kV 60 ma NST and with a 14" x 3"
toroid on top.  That's about the best I can expect where I'm running it
as the streamers go to the surrounding work space.  From what I read
here I should do a lot better if I got it out in the open.

Ed