Rabbit Semi boards was RE: Terry's DRSSTC - HFBR Optical Tx/Rx

The RCM3600 processor (http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm3600/rcm3600.pdf) is only $49 but it can play WAV audio files with pulse modulation with a little C-program ;-) Maybe a disruptive type talking coil! There are super nice little cheap short range RF transmitters I have too but they can't touch 1++MHz data transfers. Those antennas also take a hit only "once"... Maybe the super versatile RC microcontroller down "in the box" talking back to remote higher powered computers and toys. I am thinking way ahead here, but if the lead times for this stuff is like 3-6 months I had better get them on order...

I've used the Rabbits a lot. While the coremodules might only be $50, there's an issue of connectors and stuff. Rabbit does sell the mating SIP connectors. There's also a surprising amount of useful glue on the eval board, so all in all, you might be better off blowing $100 more to get eval boards with the core module already bolted on. For instance, the eval board has the IrDA transceiver on it.

Rabbit also sells a line of ethernet core modules, which I've used. They're quite nice. I see that they have some that will connect to a 802.11b wireless interface as well.

There are also a number of 802.11b to bidirectional printer interfaces around.