Re: Wireless Transmission

At 03:05 PM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: Teslamad@xxxxxxx
Does anyone know the up to date research on wireless transmission? Has it been documented yet? (i.e Wendover?) Or is Tesla's idea of "non-hertz'n" waves still not fully understood?

Wireless transmission? As in a "4 on the floor" stick shift, or even my old TurboHydramatic 350 (although that had wires for the Neutral/Park starter lockout).

But really, I assume you're talking about wireless transmission of power? Sure, it works. All in accordance with well understood laws of physics. As always the challenge is in getting decent efficiency in converting electrical power to EM waves and then getting efficient conversion from EM waves back into usable power.

For RF, there are power amplifiers that are 85% efficient up to a few tens of MHz (for kilowatt levels). For higher frequencies the efficiencies drop a bit (or a lot) although for the hundreds of milliwatts range at 2.4 GHz, I think there are some amplifiers in that sort of efficiency range.

One can radiate the power with comparable efficiency, although, that would be a fairly non-directive pattern, unless you've got a really big, low loss, reflector.

Receiving the power is much more of a challenge.

http://www.kurasc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/jusps/S6-1.pdf provides some useful information.