What chew talkin bout, Willis...

Original poster: "rb" <randyaz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve C. Wrote:

"...This strange "current" that flows in thin air really exists. It explains
how
radio waves propagate and why you can get RF burns from touching grounded
objects while running your Tesla coil...."

Having set out to build a jacobs ladder I progressed and somehow managed to
build a SGTC (and it works pretty good too) by connecting the dots from info
on the www.  With limited knowledge of electronics or EM theory my horizons
are now expanding.

As one fears that which is not understood I have great respect for high
voltage.  Would someone please expound on the "you can get RF burns from
touching grounded objects while running your Tesla coil."

Is this referring to grounded objects in close proximity to the TC where
current can be induced? (ie the arcing in the rails on my garage door which
are about 6 feet from the TC or my fluorescent fixtures glowing) Or have I
missed some other important safety feature?

How is the "induction zone" distance from the coil determined? (without
having to stick my tongue to it...)