Re: Hello from The Newbie

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 3:12 PM Subject: Re: Hello from The Newbie

> Original poster: "Chris Watkins" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > Original poster: "Brian" <ka1bbg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > > > second > > suggestion is build the primary with 1/4 or 3/8 tube, i use salvaged > copper > > wire, 1/8 square or larger also works. > > I'm hoping the #8 ground wire I have on hand will be sufficient, but I may > pickup some 1/4" tubing if I have to end up going to Home Depot after all.

For a small coil, AWG8 solid wire will work just fine.  Fool with that at
first.  The additional losses from using wire instead of tubing are fairly
small, and you might as well get through all the other "teething pains"
first.

Cardboard works quite nicely as a primary support.  Just cut slits, and
shove the wire into it.

>  > for torois i use a fan
>  > shroud, the thinner ones with rounded surface at the edge will get you
>  > started.
>
> Depending on how the whole thing ends up... I have some appropriately
> shaped plastic wheels for a torroid, or some toy balls to use as a sphere.
> I'm thinking I can simply cover either form with aluminum foil/tape.

Use a toroid, not a sphere...
A pie plate works nicely as a center for the toroid, and then use some of
that metal expandable dryer duct to wrap around.  Or, you can get styrofoam
"wreath base" at a craft store and cover it with aluminum tape.