Re: frequency counter

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner@xxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "claudio masetto" <claudmas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
This is a bit off topic but I hope someone can help me. Does anyone have a simple circuit for a digital frequency counter with a range of about 50khz to 500khz

Some cheap or mid range digital multimeters can also measure duty cycle and frequency, to some accuracy (which gets lousy above a few 100kHz...)

If you want more frequency range or better accuracy, you can use mostly any >10MHz microcontroller that has an internal counter you can connect to an external signal of at least 1MHz. By reading out, at some fixed interval, the current value stored in the counter, you can calculate the input frequency.

The absolutely simplest form is something like this
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/freq_counter/freq_counter.html

(the PIC can be programmed without any complicated programming device, see
for example http://www.geocities.com/jpadfield13/noppp3.html )

cheers,
 - Jan

--