Re: Re Secondary Resonance LC and Harmonics

Original poster: "Mike" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
         A few comments, As any ham or FM broadcast CE knows, using strip
line, plumbers delight construction in an RF amplifier tank or harmonic
filter, link coupled, straight lines work just fine, but we already know
this.
More interesting is the question Phil asked at the end of this posting,
along with the statement that prompted the question:
" >  > Furthermore classic description also predicts that exactly half of
the
>  > inductance of a straight wire resides within the wire itself.
>
>      I don't understand this statement at all. How do we observe this
> hidden inductance? How does inductance "reside" somewhere? Where does the
> other half of the inductance "reside"?
>
> -Phil LaBudde
If this is to be seen, maybe with neon tubing bent as a coil or as part of a
coil and with glass fittings to which a vacuum pump is attached. If high
frequency is to prefer flowing in one part Vs another part, this would show
as glow. In my work with the glow discharge tube, I can tell where power is
flowing greater and where it is flowing less. I can also reduce the pressure
and make the discharge more constricted, dime sized to the entire width of
the 22.5 inch ID of the tube.
If you do this with a chamber, you can see what is flowing within the glass
tubing and perhaps what is flowing outside of it. Electrodes would be within
the neon sign tubing and if there is a second filed, that would ionize
outside the tubing, possibly making this point or not making it.
Regarding the displacement current, we could show this with dust maybe, much
like one can use iron dust on a paper over a magnet to show the shape of the
flux lines.
Just a thought.
Sometimes when a question comes up like "How do we see this", a good one,
it's almost more interesting to figure how to see it rather than if what we
are looking for is even there.
I know I often refer back to using glowing gas but it's a tool I happen to
be well equipped with to use.
Several other people have access to vacuum equipment on the list, too.
The ionized gas in the neon sign becomes the conductor for this test, the
worst part is getting a glass blower to make the turns and splice the raw
tubing sections together if you want a large coil.
There is no reason that an entire secondary for  TC not be made of evacuated
sign glass; I guess that in itself would be something rather cool to see.
Well insulated turn to turn, too!
So maybe this test can be done.
Let the .EDU guys pay for the glass, it's their statement to defend but I
would welcome the result.
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:12 PM Subject: Re: Re Secondary Resonance LC and Harmonics