RE: Two Manifestations of Charge

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm,

>           Although I haven't replicated your particular
> setup, for the fun of it I once replicated a coil described
> by Tesla in his lecture to the EE Society of NY (I think it
> was - I have the book at home).
> The coil was a double-resonant disruptive type but had the
> secondary wound in two sections (as described in the book) as
"lumped"
> inductors with a primary in between. I was particularly
> interested in this coil because a photo of the original
> running with large wire loops run in parallel, each connected
> to the hot end of each secondary portion) showed a bundle of
> sparks of varying intensities apparently all going at the
> same time along the length of the loops.

I happen to have one of Tesla's actual double cone coils from his
lab.  The secondary is made from two opposing 6" x 6" isosceles
cones with a primary in the middle.  I'll try that parallel loop
setup sometime.  Can you remember the date of the lecture?  Did
he describe the geometry of the secondary for that particular
setup?

Dave