RE: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi Dave,

At 10:38 PM 7/4/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

> Yes, it is easy to reproduce.  If we can agree that just a
> tube on Styrofoam will have "equal" sparks,  I will spare our
> atmosphere the mercury vapor release...

If you are talking about breaking off the tube end, that isn't
necessary.  Any piece of aluminum on the end of the Styrofoam
should have the same effect.  I haven't tried the effect with a
non-vacuum tube in between the topload and ground.  But I have
tried the effect with a tube that was not grounded.  I got the
same results whether the tube was grounded or not.

I tried the end of a tube on Styrofoam this afternoon:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-10.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-11.jpg

The spark from the toroid to the tube end and from the tube end to the ground wire are now exactly the same.

From the diagram at:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest.gif

The i2 currents are now gone since the Styrofoam is very none conductive. It certainly appears to me that the difference in spark appearance seen before is just do to displacement currents being picked up by the partially conductive tube and adding to the i3 current making that spark brighter as seen before.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-02.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-04.jpg

In DaveTest-02 you can see the significant i2 currents lighting the florescent tube and how the current increases toward the top.

So, I see nothing unusual that field and circuit theories (the old ones) would not easily explain. The tests seem to work just as expected. When one first sees the effect, it seems strange. But a little investigation easily explains it.

Cheers,

        Terry