Re: MOT with chopped off primary -- Anyone tried this before?

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <tesla_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

What we are discussing is rewinding the MOT primary
with fewer turns in order to increase the turns ratio
and boost the secondary voltage. One unfortunate
effect of this surgery is that the transformer can no
longer run directly from mains AC, be it 50Hz in the
kingdom or 60Hz here in the colonies. The MOT
transformer core requires a certain minimum number of
turns-per-volt to stay out of runaway saturation.  The
mutated MOT using 1/4 or 1/2 as many primary turns
necessitates pulsed, ballasted operation, hence the
series dimmer & cap arrangement. Another undesirable
outcome is that the secondary-to-core insulation
engineered for about 2kvac must now withstand much
higher voltage. It's a cheap way to make a 2kv MOT put
out 4-8kv to run a jacob's ladder or something. One
can't count on such an overstressed MOT to last very
long though.

Greg