Re: Maximum MOT`s power for long, reliable operation and life - how much is it?

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

MOT's for mass consumption are designed to minimise the iron and copper for cost reasons. It doesn't really matter to them that the power consumption is high, only that it doesn't melt under maximum use under fan forced cooling in the MO situation. They often run hot even under no load as the iron is close to saturation. IMHO, this is why a lot of MO's "buzz" rather than the fan when they are on. Keep a fan on it and it should run safely for 15 - 99 minutes but it will be very hot. This is why you often see thermal cutouts attached to the MOT.

If you look at the power consumption with input voltage you will see it rise very significantly by the time it gets to mains level (up to 4-5 amps).
The solution is to use a variac or an external ballast or wind an extra 30-50 turns of wire in series with the primary for 240V mains and half that for 110V. The latter is only possible if you are removing the primary though.

Running under oil helps with the heat loss but not total draw. My coils use 4 MOT's under oil but I watch the current draw. My best pic had the 20A meter hard over.

Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.com

Original poster: Grishka <ghome@xxxxxxxxx>

There`re lots of articles in Internet, when people use MOTs as TC power supply.
In all cases they draw more than 1 kW from one MOT, they say, operational
time is short (some minutes)... I then decided to find out, how many watts
can give us one MOT in a continuos condition of operation.
I`ve recently made rather simple experiment - I`ve connected in series 10
incandenscent lamps (60 watt one piece), MOT was working 45 minutes, it`s
temperature became 76 degrees! But - my mains voltage was only 206 volts
instead of 220 - and let`s imagine, what could happen with this transformer at
full 220 volts?! A friend of mine (father dest) has tested such transformer
with NO LOAD - after 20 minutes of operation transformer`s core was so hot,
that couldn`t be touched by fingers for more than 5 sec! (mains voltage was
226 volts, air temperature in the room - 28 degrees).

According to these facts I have some questions:

1 - does anybody know, how good is the wire insulation in MOT (varnish)?
That is - what temperature does this varnish can face without considerable
decreasing its life time?

2 - does MOT worth to be put into the oil? Can we consider oil as "a good
cooler"? Think about inner layers of HV winding - we can`t measure temperature
right there...

3 - In future I want to run my TC during 5 minutes continuous (minimum! - it`s
better 10 or 15 minutes) with pauses not more than 10 minutes (with total
runtime about 1 hour). What power could we draw per MOT in such condition
without overheating? What is overhreating for you (see question #1)?
--
Best regards,
 Grishka                          mailto:ghome@xxxxxxxxx