Re: DRSSTC Field Plots

Sounds like your protectors didn't protect against the primary hit. I was wondering if it would given that the hit is almost like a delta function. What about a spark gap shunt between the protector and the primary??

To prevent the corona ring from breakout, can you reduce your gap some more and if this doesn't do it, maybe you need to lower your toroid somewhat (to better shield the corona ring).

Gerry R.

Yes.  I "always" have the "protectors" in place these days...

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/notes/DRSSTCprotec.pdf

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/ArcFilter-01.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/pictures/ArcFilter-02.JPG

And how did the corona ring result in the failure.

I am thinking the "leader" ;-) broke out from the ring and hit the primary coil. It easily may have sneaked around the ground rail...

Cheers,

Terry