Re: primary coil increase to 3/8 (.375") From 1/4,1/4 spacing.

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/8/05 3:49:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

a pancake 3/8 tube with like spacing and a 1.5" arc space? The secondary is
a 8.25" 35.5" 22AWG. I seem to remember Richard Quick or some one post that
the aspect ratio to fully envelope the coil should be around 2/3? In this
case it comes out to ~ 26" but is taped at 10.85 with a 40NF Beefy MMC cap
using Java Tesla.

Jim,

the primary doesn't really envelope the coil, rather it couples mostly
into the bottom of the secondary.  So it doesn't matter
if the primary is wide or not.  Wideness will only affect the coupling.
You do want the coupling to be as tight as possible without
getting racing sparks or flashovers.  The reason for using
3/8th inch tubing is to handle the high currents without too
much loss.  I would imaging that at such power levels as you
are proposing, you would want to use 3/8" tubing.  I'm not
sure how much difference in performance you'll actually see.
Richard Hull ran his Nemesis coil up to 11kW or more and
used 5/8" primary tubing.

John