'static lights'....Re: That's Strange!

Original poster: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>

Last night I brushed my hand across the globe of my 12" plasma globe and noticed that the gasses lit up. I tried this with the palm side of my hand and nothing. When I did this again with the back side of my hand, I could get small bursts of light when my hand quickly brushes the globe. I'm thinking this to be an electrostatic effect between the hair on my hand (what little there is) and the glass. It's like watching the flashes of light emitted when chewing wintergreen Lifesavers in a dark room.

Not uncommon, when looked for. Similar can be observed with TV CRT, or fluorescent tube, IF DARK.

Mostly there is too much light around to see the low levels of illumination...

Marginally related:
   Has anyone with a 'zaps when off' secondary form explored around it with
    a small (NE2...) neon lamp, or similar?
   WITHE THE PRIMARY POWER OFF>>>>
   8)>>
   best