RE: Two Manifestations of Charge - 3D version of ETesla - MicroSim

Hi Dave,

At 05:33 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

Good to see you still making progress on this.

> A MicroSim schematic and model can now be drawn:
>
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-71.gif

In the schematic you assume that the resistances are the same
between terminals, meaning that you also assume the potentials
are the same.  But we still don't know this to be a fact.

Let me update the schematic and peak currents to this "now":

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-80.gif

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-81.gif

So the resistance was adjusted to get a 30 amp peak between the top terminal and rod. The bright spark is about 1k ohm at 140 amps and the dim spark is about 2k ohms at 30 amps

The peak power looks like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-81a.gif

The RMS currents are not too different:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-81b.gif

So the bright arc is in the 140 amp range and the dim spark is in the 30 amp range.* That would appear to be why it is brighter. More peak current, more RMS current, much more peak power(!)... so we get a brighter arc.

Of course, the only key thing we did not know was the current from the toroid to the rod. But my little project "CheapScope" to the rescue!!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-82.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-83.jpg

Here is where that 30 maps comes from:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-84.jpg

CheapScope did not seem to mind "taking a ride" on 100kV of RF at all!! It never glitched or showed any sign of stress.

QED...

Of course, different setups with different dimensions and all that are going to come out with somewhat different numbers. But I think I now have a reasonable explanation for the bright and dark arcs and a little stuff to back it all up too...

*I think I used Toepler's equation correctly for the bright arc but it was the wrong situation to use it for the dim arc since the cap was bypassing current around that arc....

Cheers,

Terry