Re: Racing sparks vs. primary design

Hi Malcolm,

One might try to break the secondary into segments and see what the coupling is into each segment using JavaTC. Certainly, the upper most segment would have the least coupling and the bottom segment would have the most coupling. The outer turn of a flat pancake primary would give the most uniform coupling across the various segments and the inner turn of the pancake would give the least uniform coupling.

I too would think that the geometry of the primary would affect racing sparks as compared to other geometries with the same overall coupling even when mistuning is not a factor. It would be interesting to achieve the desired k with geometry that spreads the coupling from bottom to top of the secondary in the most uniform way. I bet such a geometry would allow the largest coupling before racing sparks occured.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

It would be really interesting to see the primary field mapped onto
the secondary for differentcoil types and geometries. K only gives
the degree of coupling, not which portion is being coupled into most
although k=1 speaks for itself. Graphical modellers?

Malcolm