re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

this old posting shows some comparisons I had done some time ago
regarding different break-rates.  The coil was powered by
a potential transformer in these tests.   JF

---------

>Original Poster: FutureT- repost from May 30, 1999.

spark cap-watts watt watt length eff BPS Joules calc meter meter inches factor % eff.

120     3.85      463      550     2.6        42         88       84

240     5.41      650      800     3.8        42         88       81

I should mention that in the table above from my previous posting,>that the 240 bps joule figure is based on two bangs, so the figure>is really joules per ac half cycle.>>But I did some more tests:>>First, I adjusted the gap phase by a few degrees to better equalizethe>bang sizes, this had no noticeable effect on the TC operation or>efficiency.>>I started thinking some more about the whole comparison, and I>started to wonder if I might be seeing the effect of a sort of "sweet>spot" in the coil, which could be skewing the results. As a cross->check, I did a new test, running the coil at 240 bps with the same>bang sizes as previously used at 120 bps. This of course doubled>the input power, and the spark increased by 23%. Next I ran the>coil at 120 bps, but used the smaller bang size equal to that used>previously at 240 bps, and of course the spark was shorter. Here's>a new table showing the new results:>>

BPS              cap-watts watt   amp     spark
          Joules    calc    meter   meter    length     increase>

120      2.7        325      400      1.8         34"

240      5.41      650       800     3.8         42          23%

120      3.85      463       550     2.6         42

240      7.7        926      1100                  51          21%