Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Ken,

> Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>
>
> Steve (& all)-
>
> Yes, I'm still pluggin' away.  Thanks much for the Powerex offer; I'll make
> a spark or 2 first & then definitely look to beefing it up.
>
> I based my 64-1024 cycle selection on my prior experience.  64 gave a weak,
> wimpy, pallid spark whereas 1024 gave a bright, fat,  bushy and loud
> one.  But both sparks seemed of much the same length so I went for the loud
> fat one, naturally.  I'm using a CD4040 counter so I can readily rewire
> it  to select fewer cycles, all the way down to 2.  But before, I was using
> the equivalent of a ~3-turn, 12" dia. non-resonant primary, excited from
> the equivalent of a ~1000 V supply, so that no doubt is some kind of a big
> factor in any comparison.

Yes, the DRSSTC builds up much more energy in a short amount of time.
Also, it relys on 100 BPS or better operation to get good streamer
growth (same as a SGTC in that respect ).  The sparks look very much
like a coil running from a RSG.  You probably will need to run about
20 cycles since your Fo is near 100khz instead of 45khz like mine is
(i run about 9 cycles i think).  I like the 4040 counter ;-).

Steve Ward