Re: Help with my rotary gap (and other tuning problems).....

At 04:02 PM 7/14/2005, you wrote:

Also, do I need a safety gap literally ON the motor? I have a Terry Filter in line with the coil (which has two spark gaps to the ground), would that suffice? or do I need a whole new gap just for the motor? (it doesn't seem like it)...just by looking at the math of it, it seems I need to get the phasing right on!

I put 220V MOVs and a line filter on my motors. The motor case is grounded (RF ground). If there is a high current short through the motor to ground, the MOVs and filter should protect the AC line.

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/Rgap.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_ACwiring.jpg

Sleeve bearings will not care about a big power arc. Ball bearings will get damaged and will wear out far faster. Since the motors are rarely used, probably still nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

        Terry