Re: Help with my rotary gap (and other tuning problems).....

Original poster: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The values that John Freau lists on his webpage are the ones he used on his system; you will need to
empirically determine your own value for the capacitance based upon your own motor and variac.

When I built my Freau phase controller, I used a 5A Radio Shack variac and a 1/4HP modified (flatted
rotor) induction motor; in my case I ended up using 130 microfarads of capacitance which yielded a 10 volt
voltage swing at the motor and a nice range of phase adjustment.

My advice to you would be to measure the voltage at the motor, rotate the variac through it's range, and
note the maximum and minimum voltage at motor. John recommends 5 volts, but this is just a safe guideline
to prevent the motor from burning out; I allowed 10 volts on mine. If you have too low of a voltage
swing, add more capacitance, and repeat the test.

Jon