re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "father dest" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: Terry Fritz <<mailto:teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>In the case of the DRSSTC, we can easily hold the bang energy almost
>exactly constant while running the BPS form 40 to 6000 BPS!! After about
>100 BPS, the streamers just don't seem to get much longer. They do get hotter.

Didn`t you change the toroid when changing bps? then the output voltage decreases with bps
increasing - those conditions are not the same during the test.

>but it`s not similar to Terrell`s words:
>
> >the 20 Joule system should have arcs SQRT(20/4) = 2.236 times longer.
>
>_too_ large difference.

>>>That is bang energy not power.  power = energy/bang x BPS

according to "1.7*sqrt (input power)" the length should be the same, but according to
"Length ~ SQRT(bang energy)" it should differ 2.2 times - that`s why i have assumed
"Length ~ SQRT(bang energy)" is wrong (coz it gives too_large_difference with the equation,
which works on practice (1.7*sqrt (nput power))) and asked John to comment this difference,
coz he unlike you didn`t mention about bang energy in his first answer.

>Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get things
>worked out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start blowing
>transformers.

>DRSSTCs don't have transformers ;-)))  12 years latter, we are pretty good
>at not blowing things, and were coiling harder than ever ;-))

does your drsstc could give something like this:
<http://www.pupman.com/current/gleyh/gl3/gl26.jpg>http://www.pupman.com/current/gleyh/gl3/gl26.jpg

or this:
<http://www.ttr.com/images/coil-12.jpg>http://www.ttr.com/images/coil-12.jpg

or, at last, this:
<http://www.ttr.com/images/m9b.jpg>http://www.ttr.com/images/m9b.jpg

oh boys - you just playing toys ;-)

p.s.
i always have been puzzled - why didn`t you invented drsstc - as it`s the next logic step after oltc.
:-)

---
(c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42