Re: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Today I built the transformer together for the first > time

Wow! It looks great :))))

> but I am literally cooking the bolts > that hook the > core together

The bolts are in the same position that a shunt would
be, and I'm guessing they're made of steel. So when
the secondary is shorted out (by your jacobs ladder
arc etc) I guess the flux from the primary all tries
to cut through the bolts, causing massive eddy current
losses. If the bolts were acting as shunts, that would
also explain why you're getting less output current
than you expected.

Probably not a lot you can do except replacing them
for brass ones :-/ Or maybe really big cable ties ;)

Steve Conner