Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Chris,
Sprites are really interesting, as is the issue of positive and negative lightning. I'll bet a lot of the images you are finding come from up there in Terry's area, Walt Lyons and others are using Yucca Ridge research station because he can see storms in several states. Over the storms are, of course, the sprites and other events. Last week he emailed us that he was shooting 1000 FPS movies of good storms. This year, another team is doing 10,000 FPS movies.
One of the people we work with here, Earle Williams, did a nice article (of many articles) for Physics Today which would give you good background, pictures, of Sprites. You can read that at this link
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~cpbl/press/williamsNov2001/
Also another article from Walt Lyons, Earle and others is
http://www.fma-research.com/Papers&presentations/100YR.htm
Regarding the lightning, positive Vs negative, you would think, even though the positive events are a much lower percentage but also the primary sprite makers, that what areas both happen near would be equal, but not so.
Earle is off on another world tour of talks the next month and last night gave me the power point files so I could share them.
Here are great examples of the map areas which have greater negative and positive lightning averages.
Regarding spark growth and polarity, keeping in mind a TC is of course both as it cycles, In one power point file, there is a great picture showing this polarity Vs growth for both.
They have charged up 2 panels, there is a triggered gap between and what can be seen is spark length and pattern on the positive side and the same on the negative side.
Using a discharge display which shows both ends at the same time, you get to see the differences.
In file area www.hot-streamer.com/mike2004/ you will find power point files. The one I refer to here would be named
" Problems In Lightning Physics.ppt " (dealing in the role of polarity asymmetry). The others are Total Lightning Activity_Severe WX.ppt, Beijing_China_Aug05.ppt, The former 3, I just uploaded.
Regarding your interest in the power density of sprites, what power it took to make them per unit volume, etc, you can also see the older power point file "Sprite_Light_In_A_Bottle.ppt".
On one hand, as a TC does swing between polarities, this looking into the polarity VS growth and pattern issue gets really important when somebody starts running a rectified output coil, not all too hard to do. Especially center tap twins with rectifiers, full wave.
You can also find "Gamma.zip" there which has a good bunch of papers about the X-ray and gamma ray bursts.
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 5:15 PM Subject: Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I've just been learning about 'positive lightning', which as an property of lighting extending from above the clouds to the upper atmosphere / lower ionosphere, in the form of 'sprites'. Here are some nice images I managed to find: -

http://www.hackinghardware.com/spritearch.jpg

It just occurred to me that many of these images were captured in Colorado Springs. Surely if
a) The laws of physics are invariant throughout space then b)The laws of physics are also invariant over 110 years, i.e. Tesla may have been looking at positive lighting. Seems plausible that he may have wondered what causes 'Those unusual measurements during 5% of lightning storms...". Or maybe he simply didn't manage to capture them. - Who knows.

Is the physics of positive lightning well understood? Its only been on record for about 10 years. Do we know anything about the conductive nature of the ionosphere and how it could be connected to ground? These things can stretch to 100 Miles so it could be a means if injecting pulses of enegery in to the ionosphere using low loss. But then how could we get it out again without causing chaos to the airline service?

Thanks

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 5:28 AM Subject: Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx