Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

That is only true for a linear time invariant resonant system.  In such
systems  bandwidth and the fraction of energy lost per cycle are equivalent.

Exactly right.

In a time variant system where say the capacitance changes over time,
durring one time frame the energy could be at one frequency and durring a
different time frame at a different frequency.
Unrelated to the lossyness of the resonator. I imagined a system that had
step changes in C when the C voltage was zero.

I think that the whole concept of Q and bandwidth is somewhat troubling when applied to time varying systems. Certainly, the analysis it such systems is more complex than we can deal with in a few short paragraphs on this list.

Incidentally at either pole (and possibly other places) the Q of the earth
resonance would not be effected (assuming a circular symmetric earth as
viewed from a pole)  by the equatorial bulge.

The earth isn't symmetrical that way either, especially not in EM terms.