Re: Nice spark picture!

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/17/05 1:40:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Antonio
This lightning picture looks 'wrong' and I wonder if it is a fake. The
lightning colour has a sunset yellow cast. It should be white/violet unless
altered by dust/smoke, exposure or post processing, but it seems very
uniform for this comparing the top vs the bottom of the strike.  The nature
of the streamers just doesn't seem right, perhaps not chaotic enough
compared to other lightning strikes. What do you think?
Peter

>A nice lightning picture:
>http://www.altrue.net/altruesite/files/americanlegacycorps/lightning.JPG
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Hi Peter,
I think the color problem is due to that yellow-white "smiley face" in the lower left quadrant. Most lightning photos are done either at night or during the darkest part of a storm where the color is controlled by the discharge. Here, you have solar backlighting which alters the apparent color of everything. Even TC sparks look different in daylight (if you can see them at all).

Matt D.